Tuesday, October 19, 2010

お帰りなさい - Welcome home

Had a great flight back. Eva Air accidentally double booked my seat and cleared up the mess by upgrading me to business. Business class was so empty that they put me in a row by myself. I ordered the Japanese in-flight meal which came out as five or six small dishes. Tasted pretty good, but I thought it was pretty small and disappointing until they took it away and then brought me the next tray which they told me was my main dish. So yeah, not disappointing at all.

Nothing else really special other than the comfort. Breezed through customs, booked it to the Narita Express, and caught the train back home. Now that I'm back it feels pretty empty without V here. Not sure what I'm gonna doooo.

When you're alone you begin to think about strange things. I'm not sure why I noticed this before, but I tear my toilet paper in uneven patterns very often and I just discovered why.

My toilet paper square is not a square at all but a rectangle. I'm not sure if all toilet paper is like this, but I found it strange and thought I should share.

I'm back to eating random Japanese things and in my quest to eat pudding, I chose the Morinaga one this time. The label said something like Beloved No. 1 for 5 Years, but I'm not sure what that means. It sounded promising though. Taste was quite good; not sure if I liked it as much as the other one I got, but it was less creamy and more like traditional flan.

For lunch today, I had a sushi special at this place close to school. One of my classmates heard about it from a coworker of his who had gone to Waseda. 1000 Yen for one of the dons below is pretty damn good. I was surprised by the quality of the fish, but the restaurant was actually packed with locals rather than students. The lunch special we had is only available on Wednesdays apparently. I'll be back for sure.

Everyday, I ride my bike home and break a sweat. For some reason, the ride to school is fine, but the ride back home makes me super gross. This does not make anatomical sense to me and I need help rectifying the situation. Today I decided to stop and take pictures. It didn't help by the way.

The guy in that sleeping bag is pretty young. I think he's a college student, and he has a whole bunch of luggage around him. The weirdest part is that in the sleeping bag this morning was a girl of similar age. This kind of sounds like it could be the basis for an anime or something. Homeless girl turns into a guy when the sun goes down and sleeps in the park or something.

I also stopped by a takoyaki/taiyaki stand to buy a taiyaki. I've been eying it for a few weeks now, but I saw a bunch of people buying it today and caved in. Bought myself a custard one and a red bean one. I'm not usually a fan of custard taiyaki; the batter often doesn't cook properly and mixes together with the custard creating something overly gooey. This one was really 超うまい. Gonna try their takoyaki next time.

Tomorrow is Waseda's founding day which means we get the day off! Japanese people don't get many vacation days, but there are something like 26 national holidays. It pretty much evens out with Americans. V's cousin is coming to Tokyo tomorrow as part of a company vacation trip, and V is gonna come back for a few days too!

Tomorrow is perfect timing to go out and do some things in Tokyo again. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment