Sunday, March 6, 2011

お大事に - Take Care

I thought about writing a top ten things I'm going to miss about Japan, but that sounded like an exercise in futility.

Then, I had a difficult time thinking of a name for this post.  I didn't want "sayonara," since we plan to be back.  When exactly we'll be back is the hard part; regardless, I settled on the title above.  The following chronicles our uneventful final hours in Tokyo.


Our second to last night in Tokyo, we basically stayed up until dawn packing.  Well V was packing; I mostly stayed out of her way, kept her company, and helped out where I could.  In fact the bulk of our remaining time went by like this and as exciting as that was, I'll spare you the details. 

Our original plan was to make Sushi Dai one of our last meals, and although we were still awake around the same time Tsukiji opened, we decided to forgo the trip in favor of some sleep.  Instead, we went for a single light meal to counteract the exorbitant amount of eating we had been engaging in and settled on some kaiten sushi.


The concept of Kaiten sushi initially sounded contrived to me back in Chicago, but my attitude towards it has totally changed.  With how high traffic sushi places get in Japan, it totally makes sense to make sushi so on-demand.  If I was to make a list of things I would miss, sushi would be near the top.  There are types of fish and sushi in general that you just can't get anywhere else and I'm seriously considering befriending a sushi chef who might have access to some of the more exotic fish.


For V, she is desperately going to miss her beloved engawa.  She ate three plates on that day alone.  The two I'm going to miss the most are hotate


and kurodai (which google tells me is Black Porgy).


My love affair with kurodai had just begun and now I don't know if we'll ever see each other again.  V tells me we can find this in Chicago, but I dunno...  Life without kurodai...  What is this wetness in my eye?

Dinner wasn't quite Sushi Dai, but it was extremely satisfying.  After our final sushi outing, we took a short last minute shopping trip to Odakyu.  There aren't any good stores for me in Odakyu, but V has most of the stores she wants there.  She managed to do some super efficient damage in the hour or so before they closed.  Our newest routine is to walk off dinner to let the food settle in.  It's enjoyable and we plan to take the practice back to Chicago.

We resumed packing and the rest of our consumption was simply us trying in vain to empty out our fridge.  It did serve as a short trip down memory lane as we had some melon jellies from Hokkaido and a box of fish cakes we got from Setagaya Boro-ichi.


And yessir it was time for us to bust out our custom-made Shiroi Koibito cookies. 


My cookie came out looking perfect and scrumptious.  V's on the other hand


suffered an unfortunate fate.  Didn't change the taste of course, but to V taste is often secondary.  The heart would become whole again in her belly, but eating the whole thing proved to be difficult.  Not only is it a giant cookie, but the white chocolate layer is thicker than most normal Shiroi Koibito cookies.  As a result, it was much heavier than the small ones and overall less delicious.

More packing and eating and soon it was time for our room inspection and departure.  This was the easiest phase of our whole apartment procedure and we were relieved that they didn't notice any of the things we messed up.  Sounds like we should get almost all of our deposit back, which means we'll have a tidy sum in the bank for our next trip to Japan.

Even now, Japan feels like it was a dream.  Thanks to all the people who made our time there so awesome. 

Special thanks to Casey and Tsubasa for taking all of our leftover crap.  It would have been a waste to throw all that stuff away.  For any foreigners looking for a rental property in Tokyo, I highly recommend Ms. Tsubasa Makise of Flat Inc.  She made our rental process as painless as it could have been.

Also, there's an open invitation on the table for anyone who wants to come visit us in Chicago.  We have an extra bedroom so remember not to book a hotel.  It'll be super, I swear.  Super!

I leave you with this rap I wrote in my head in the shower for a drinking game I never got to play with Casey.  The basic premise of said game is to rhyme in both English and Japanese in an ad-lib battle.  I was just practicing...  Btw, I don't rap.

いつも笑っているミスターミスターCasey

何を考えている think you can beat me?

でもさdidja knowあれは昔話

俺に勝つのはぜったい無理

No comments:

Post a Comment