Sunday, February 27, 2011

Making the List - Part I

...and checking it.  Just once.

That last Aomori post was a little rushed since I'm running totally behind.  I've been pretty busy with this class that started the day after we got back from Aomori and ended a few days ago.  Actually, the class ended on Thursday and then I predictably ended up slacking off most of Friday.  Friday night, I planned to write the papers for my two intensive classes and instead went to work out at around midnight.  2 AM rolled around, and I looked up my assignments and it turned out that one of the papers was due in ten hours...

Problem was, I had already started the other paper and had it forming in my head, so even though it wasn't due, I did that one first and then pumped out the first one by 7 AM.  Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I'm running way behind on blog posts so I'm going to make this easy on myself.

We've made ourselves a list of things we want to eat and do before we leave Tokyo.  So here they are in a list and with little wit:

Fuku


V had still not been to Fuku, and of course time was running out.  We were finally able to make a reservation and went for gourmet yakitori with Diana and Gordon.  The funny thing about Fuku is that Khai introduced it to us, and then it's spread like wildfire amongst our friends.

The same day we were there, we saw Minako there with her boyfriend and a couple of others. 


That's plenty of evidence as to just how epic Fuku is.  My favorite thing there is probably the grilled oysters, but really, there was too many things on that I wanted to try on the menu for my stomach to handle. 

Soup Stock Tokyo


I love soup.  Like my affinity for soup is way higher than the normal person's.  If Soup Stock Tokyo was any closer to us, it wouldn't have taken me so long to try it, and I'm guessing I would have had it pretty often.


V and I tried a bowl of the Ebi Tofu Flurry Soup.  It was damn good.  I'm a huge fan of egg-drop type seafood soups.  Soup Stock Tokyo is pricey, but I'm a total sucker and if we had more time I would have enjoyed it a couple more times.  Luckily, we bought a couple of frozen soup packs to go as well.

万世麺店 - Mansei


We have walked by Mansei countless times in Shinjuku Station and been repeatedly intrigued by the concept of katsu on top of ramen.  This wasn't super high on our list, but since we were in the area, we decided to check it out.


The katsu is salty and the soupbase is mild and the combination turns out balanced.  Overall, it's not a bad bowl of ramen and a decent concept, but not exactly mindblowing.  I'm guessing that you might be able to find a better execution of this somewhere else in Tokyo.

Takano

So we've been eying this upscale dessert joint for a while now.  Recently, V's desire to go has increased dramatically due to her newfound craving for parfaits.  Did you know that in the past week she has twice made a hamburger patty topped by a fried egg and then smothered in ketchup for lunch?  For the past few months she's been drinking green tea with little snacks and even invested in a couple tins of matcha straight from Kyoto.

I digress. 


We ordered a very stereotypical strawberry parfait


and a strawberry dessert plate.  Everything was delicious.  Takano doesn't have the most delicate desserts, but you know what you're getting yourself into anyway.  My dessert plate was not actually as large as it looks.  Everything was pretty nice, but there was no single item that was truly amazing.  The jelly shot may actually have been my favorite.

V's parfait was probably better overall and larger in volume as well.  Yeah, that sucker was a beast. A yummy beast.



V was satisfied.  Have I mentioned that Takano's a great place to take a date?


In other news, this blog and V's new camera have exceeded my Google upload quota so I bought more webspace...

No comments:

Post a Comment