Monday, August 30, 2010

Flying Solo

Bear witness to what is quite possibly the holy grail of bread. O' Chirle Brown swirly bread, let me count the ways I love thee: 1. Thou art goddamn delicious.

V wasn't feeling too hot today so I went solo. Luckily, there was a typhoon in the vicinity and rain everywhere. The typhoon is on course to miss the island, but that doesn't mean we get to miss all the residual rain. For those who don't know, "typhoon" is just another word for a hurricane. It comes from the chinese word tai fong - 颱風. For some reason it doesn't sound quite as vicious as "hurricane," but they are in fact the same thing.

One thing I didn't know about my flip-flops is that they are super slippy when wet. A good deal of the ground in metro stations and the like are made of tile, and I basically nearly killed myself give or take 17 times. Luckily most of the flooring in the Xinyi - 信義 shopping district was fairly rough.

I managed to trek all the way from the Bellavita department store to the 101 mall with relative ease. Bellavita is this brand new shopping complex decked on in all luxury brands and few actual customers. I hit up the basement for some pretty good coffee and headed out on the elevated walkway through the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi -
新光三越 complex. This area actually comprises of four separate department stores dubiously numbered A4, A8, A9 and A11.

Between Bellavita, Shin Kong Mitsukoshi, and 101, there are so many designer stores here that it's a wonder how anything actually stays in business. Luckily there's an elevated pathway that goes all the way between these buildings. Notably, I went into Paul and Joe, as V is having a renewed affair with Paul and Joe Sister, and I felt compelled to go see what all the fuss is about. Everything was so fruity...I swiftly left, never to return.
Below is the rainy view of 101 from the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi walkway.

I appropriately jammed to Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History the whole way, and kept on getting looks from people because I was the happy douchebag totally missing all his phone calls. I also made at least a dozen people look in the same direction as me as I stared intently at absolutely nothing. On my way back, I really wanted to take a picture of a man taking a picture of another passed out man but missed the moment.

The one thing I've never mentioned is that it rains a lot here. We actually have had a disproportionate amount of no-rain, but that's about to change. I dunno if I'll actually be dry again before I hit the ground in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment