Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Glasses


So, today we went to get me some new glasses. I wear contacts all the time nowadays, and I really only wear glasses before I sleep and after I wake up. My current pair of glasses are definitely over ten years old. The last time I got new glasses was before I went to college in 2001. Those glasses actually ended up breaking my freshman year and without a backup pair, I resorted to wearing my semi-permeable contacts full-time and never looked back. Eventually, I picked up my old pair of glasses which date back to high-school and wear them to this day.

It was about time I got a new pair. I figured I would buy glasses here as I imagined they would be less expensive. With my prescription, it usually ends up being the lens that's most expensive. After this eye exam, some numbers were thrown around, but I'm not exactly sure what my prescription was as I generally don't understand what people are saying in this country. 我聽不懂。

I had no idea what I was looking for in a frame as I don't bother to think about how I look in glasses anymore. V kinda wanted me to go for a boxy black frame, even though that makes me look like someone she wants to punch in the face. She made it abundantly clear she wanted to punch my face, and eventually I figured out that she still wanted that look because she thinks I look good with it.

That picture also makes it look like I just don't know how to wear glasses straight... In fact, I'm thoroughly convinced my wife wanted to fist my face solely to straighten my glasses. I ended up with something similar, but not black. I hope they're indestructible. I spent longer than I should have looking for a frame as my selection was fairly limited. With poor eyesight the lens must be more concave; and the larger the lens, the thicker the lens becomes at its edges; and the thicker the lens, the more retarded you look. Long story short (again), I picked frames that cost way too much and the lens ended up costing even more. The moral here is that if your eyes suck, glasses cost a lot of money everywhere.

Afterward, we hit up Nepal Namaste Curry for some Nepalese spices and a happy reunion with extended family. Nothing too crazy to write home about here. V can make curry better at home, and I can still feel my tastebuds, so the spiciness wasn't up to par. V's other soul-mate Irene made the day with a premature impromptu birthday cheesecake for ma wife.


This picture looks way more exciting than it actually was and even includes an unfortunate knee.

Seven days left to figure out how to buy a birthday present here.

No comments:

Post a Comment